In order for the campus to achieve its purpose, location is crucial. The campus needs to be accessible internationally, have access to an urban centre, but have a rural character. Our parameters are that the site has a large enough area for all future infrastructure, which we approximate at about min. 50 hectares, ideally 100 hectares. It needs to be relatively accessible through public transport or maximum 1 hour drive to a city and/or airport. The site needs to offer prospects of expandability towards a landscape scale.
We are looking for a location in a region in Europe that is confronted with multiple types of soil erosion and degradation, and is also moderately vulnerable to climate change and biodiversity loss. (See maps at the bottom of the page) We need to be able to produce a yield year round, and be a potential learning centre for anyone in the mediterranean and moderate climate zones.
We are looking for a site with a long-term lease or a contractual partnership with a landowner. We are also open to land-ownership, which in the long term has our preference.
In order to successfully establish the Common Soil Campus the land must ideally meet these requirements:
- Minimum size of 10 hectares. Ideal size: 50 – 100 hectares
- In (central/southern) Europe (EU)
- In (warm) temperate climatic zone
- Access to water (minimum rainfall 350mm)
- Includes building(s) suitable or possible to renovate for accommodation (5 – 6 people permanent)
- Buildings which could be used/converted into a classroom/guest accommodation/office
- Barns or planning permission to build
- Shower/toilet facilities or planning permission to build for 20+ people
- Maximum 1 hour drive distance from town with hospital
- Common Soil has decision making power over land use
- A clear legal contract of land use rights with landowner
- Possible to legally hold large events (e.g. 200+ people for 1 week)
There are several features which would be desirable, but are not our main deciding factors:
- Hills and/or sloping land
- River or stream on or adjacent to property
- Woodland/trees/forest on the property
- Water source/spring
- Not neighbouring major industrial development
- Agreeable neighbours (No GM crops, chemical pollution, spray drift etc.)
- Access by public transport